The Ron Dellow Reference Library consists of over 5,000 mainly single copies of choral works (without Bach or Dellow pieces) available for reference. They are the result of his life’s accumulation of music, and the collection is housed in Meadowbank. A postal service can be made available for those who cannot come and browse, and arrangements can be made for short term borrowing for a small fee.
The Custodian is Anita Banbury (E: email@example.com P: 09 521 1119) to whom all enquiries should be made.
Download the catalogue
Download the Application to borrow
Cadence has been shut down, however all of the same functionality is now available through the NZ Libraries Catalogue here.
The National Library’s Coordinator for Music Access, Chris Anderson, is seeking input from choir directors and librarians as to how improvements can be made to the New Zealand Libraries Catalogue which replaces the old Cadence site. Chris has a number of search tips to offer and other information which can make it easier for you to navigate your way around the catalogue. He would appreciate your input on the best place to display this information on their website and would welcome other suggestions for improvements.
Please contact Chris Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 04 474 3025 if you have specific suggestions to contribute.
Search for choral sets with the NZ Libraries Catalogue
Providing visibility of all material catalogued by New Zealand libraries, the New Zealand Libraries Catalogue replaces the previous Cadence website, which had been limited to just choral and orchestral hire sets.Here are a few tips on searching for music scores, the organisations holding those scores, and linking to the hire request form.
1. Go to the catalogue at http://nzlc.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=first
2. The page defaults to the Simple Search page; try this first. Enter the title and composer of the work, e.g. ‘Messiah Handel’ and click on Search.
3. Alternatively, try an Advanced Search (use tab at top left hand of screen) using keywords. If the search yields no results initially, try different keywords – sometimes the works may be under another title or variation of the composer’s name.
4. Once you have found an item of interest, click on the title to see more information.
5. A list of choirs or libraries holding the work is displayed at the bottom of the page.
6. For further details on the organisation holding the item, click the icon from your search results page. This will link you to the Directory of New Zealand Libraries’ entry for that organisation.
7. Cost – most choirs charge $2 per score. Check with them about their charges, period of hire and condition of scores before confirming your order. The National Library charges a rate per score (see below for current charges). NZCF members are entitled to a 20% discount, so be sure to mention you are a member. The hirer pays the postage both ways and is liable for any damage or loss. In the case of a major loss, your choir’s NZCF insurance policy (if you have one) will help with replacing lost scores
8. Feel free to request a new piece if it is not available.
9. To view all participant organisations with hire music available, select Search Library Directory and enter Music Hire into the search box.
National Library Charges (per copy):
Prices are inclusive of GST.
Listing your choir’s scores
The New Zealand Libraries Catalogue particularly welcomes any original or legitimate copies of scores. This not only provides a service to our choral colleagues, it also brings in valuable revenue for your choir through hire fees.
Register your choir by completing the form at: http://nzlc.natlib.govt.nz
Then list (or edit the detail of) any or all of your scores at: http://natlib.govt.nz/forms/new-hire-set-record
For additional assistance, contact the hiring librarian Chris Anderson on 04 470 4539.
NZCF members receive a 20% discount on music hired from the National Library’s extensive collection.